Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Banana Oatmeal Muffins (Flourless and Sugar-free)




I'll be honest.  I'm not ever interested in making any gluten/dairy/sugar/blah-blah-blah free recipes.  I love using flour, real butter, real chocolate and actual eggs in my baking.  I'm always doubtful when I see a recipe for "Gluten-sugar-dairy free Cookies and it tastes great."  Really?  Really, it tastes..."great"?  I think it tastes bad or okay, maybe even almost good.  But I have yet to try one that I can say tastes "Grrrreat!".   I say pick one evil and leave the rest of the good stuff.  For example, French macarons.  (And that's macarOns, not macarOOns...for goodness sake get it right, this drives me CRAZY!)  They're gluten free. And if you know me, I definitely think they taste great.  Even if you make a failed batch, it may look like crap, but they still taste great.  If you've ever attempted to make French macarons, you know exactly what I mean by failed batches.  Once, I forgot to add 1 cup of sugar to Lemon Blueberry Muffins.  They still tasted great!  Like a scone.  My friend, Super Momma J baked flourless chocolate cookies with pink sea salt.  They were amazing!  So, the lesson is...leave one bad thing out and you can still indulge on something great.  Ha, that's my logic.

Oh my, I got distracted.  So, I found this recipe for Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins that said no flour, no white sugar and tastes great.  Hmmm.  Well, I had all the ingredients on hand so I thought, why not give it a go.  I love muffins, I like the oatmeal + banana combo and I don't need them to be sweet so I was optimistic I would like these.  As usual, I made a few tweaks to the original recipe.  I did not use a food processor, just my KitchenAid mixer.  Why take the extra step of grinding the oats?  I did not add nuts.  I reduced the honey because I knew I was adding an entire package of Ghiradelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips.  These muffins are great!  Tender, moist and good chew from the oatmeal.  The girls and I taste tested when they finished baking, then I shared some with AKRams, then the girls and I ate them for breakfast.  I need more.  Looks like I'm making my second batch in 1 week.

I love this cannister I got for my birthday!


Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Prep time: 5 mins Bake Time: 20-25 min
Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients:
2.5 cups old fashioned oats (buy gluten free oats if you want)
1 cup plain low fat greek yogurt
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey (reduce to 1/4 if adding chocolate)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas
1 pk chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (optional) use the good stuff!
chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 dregrees.  Grease or line muffin tray with parchment.  Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl except nuts and/or chocolate.  Mix for 2-3 mins.  Fold in the nuts/chocolate.  Scoop into muffin tray.  Bake for 20-25 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Enjoy warm or at room temperature.

Look at the beautiful texture of this muffin.

2 comments:

  1. Hey looks good! I'm going to try them with coconut yogurt to make them dairy free. I have to wait though until I have some ripe bananas we always use all ours up.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trick to quickly ripen bananas....preheat oven to 350. Turn off. Put bananas in for about 5 mins. Only works on yellow bananas. Not green ones.

    ReplyDelete