Friday, January 17, 2014

Korean-Style Ribs (Crock Pot)

I have never made ribs before and I love them.  There are so many recipes on Pinterest that I want to try.  When I came across this recipe from The Crepes of Wrath, I promptly added the ingredients to my grocery list and made them for dinner the next day.  It was too easy.  It was too tasty.  I will be adding this to our regular rotation for dinner.  These ribs literally fell apart as I moved them from the crock pot to the baking sheet.  I loved the sauce!  The only thing I would probably do if I can help it is to not cook them as long.  Ours was on high for 5 hours so they were very, very tender.  Regardless, it was delicious.




Korean-Style Ribs (Crock Pot)
Tender pork ribs cooked in a sweet and tangy Korean style sauce in the crock pot.

Prep Time 20 Cook Time 4-6 Hours
Serves: 3-4

Ingredients
4 pounds pork ribs
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ponzu sauce (if you do not have ponzu sauce, use an
additional 1/4 cup of soy sauce + the juice of 1/2 an orange)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6 cloves of garlic, finely grated or minced
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, finely grated or minced (I forgot to buy ginger so I used 1/4 tsp of ground ginger)
1 teaspoon Sriracha or hot chili oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I omitted because I didn't want it to be too spicy for the girls)
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
sesame seeds, for garnish

Instructions
1. Grease the inside of your crock pot with non-stick spray or oil. Add in the ribs. Whisk together the soy
sauce, ponzu sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, Sriracha and chili flakes, then pour over the
ribs. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
2. When ready to eat, remove the ribs from the pot (they will be fall-apart tender, so do this gently) and
place them on a baking sheet. Preheat your oven to broil.
3.  Whisk together the corn starch and water in a sauce pan until combined. Pour the sauce through a sieve into the pan.  Whisk the sauce over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbling, then baste the ribs in the sauce. Broil the ribs for 5 minutes or so, until bubbling and slightly caramelized. Serve garnished with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.

Serve with rice or potatoes and your favourite veggies.  Corn and salad would be great in the summer time.

Adapted from a recipe by The Crepes of Wrath

6 comments:

  1. Did the girls eat them? Too spicy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made me realize...I omitted the red pepper flakes because I wanted to add Sriracha and I didn't want it too spicy for the girls. It was perfect. Not spicy at all and probably could have added the flakes afterall. The girls and I ate ribs with steamed rice and while hubby had potatoes. It makes a lot of extra gravy-like sauce so it was great with either.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on starting the blog, Iv! You're gonna have so much fun. Re: this post - I really need to get a crock pot! These ribs look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nance! You're one of my inspirations for starting the blog. I will make you guest post for me soon!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Ivy for this recipe. So easy and delicious. We love it :)

    ReplyDelete